Pages

Nov 23, 2005

Feast of St. Cecilia - 22 Nov

I didn't know much about St. Cecilia except that she's the patron saint of singers and musicians. We always pray for her intercession during choir practice, but never have I tried to find out why or who she is and was. It so happened this morning that I read her profile (in Lectio Divina) out of boredom while waiting for my friend.

The first thing about her that struck me: She vowed her virginity to God. Something I also did, a personal vow. Now I clearly know that what I did was right, and I shall stay that way till I breathe my last, either being a nun or a discalced nun, or as a celibate.

The second thing that struck me: "While the profane music of her wedding was heard, Cecilia was singing in her heart a hymn of love for Jesus, her true spouse." (read more here) That ensures me of the importance of music and hymns and songs - not for self-gratification, but for the love and glory of God. For whatever songs, be it pop or contemporary christian music, which we offer up for Him, it is always the heart that matters most to Him. Just as what Matt Redman wrote in his song 'Heart of Worship':

I'll bring you more than a song
for a song in itself
is not what You have required
You searched much deeper within
through the way things appear
You're looking into my heart...
Remember, then, every time you sing to the Lord... SING WHAT YOU MEAN AND MEAN WHAT YOU SING.

No comments: