Pages

Nov 4, 2006

Holiness... is not easy

To be holy it is not necessary to accomplish extraordinary acts nor possess exceptional gifts. It is simply necessary to serve Jesus, to listen to him ant do follow him without losing courage when faced with difficulties.

~ Pope Benedict XVI's homily on the Solemnity of All Saints, November 1, 2006


At another time, I heard a similar saying:

Holiness means to do little and ordinary things with great love.


Don't you agree?

At times, I have big dreams. I dreamt of being rich; when there is no financial worry, I can do so many things -- helping those with financial problems, driving friends who are living so far away from church and with transport problems, to be there immediately when friends needed someone by their side, to ease the pain of people who are suffering from illnesses by buying them medicine or health suppliments, to travel all around the world and involve in missionary work... I wanted to make the world a better place to live in, and the list goes on and on...

But, no. These are no "holiness". I realized that I can't even do little things with love! I complained when my parents asked me to do some housework for them - washing the dishes, do the laundry, mop the floor, prepare dinner etc. And with non-Catholic friends, sometimes I took them for granted - being rude, not understanding, refused to listen but talked too much, being unsincere etc. Really, sometimes I just feel that I am a total hypocrite!

So, what is the use of desiring to accomplish great things when I can't even do small things well? No point, isn't it?

The first step to holiness is to do little things with great love.

Sounds easy, eh? *grin* It's not easy for me, though. I'm still trying my best to put love into EVERYTHING I do... but I tend to lose sight of God and when that happens, my human nature surfaced. I, a sinner, certainly cannot offer any good advice for anyone who are searching for ways to holiness. One thing, however, this poor heart of mine has been telling me is that:

  • Live each day as if it is our last.
  • Recite the prayers (esp. Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory Be) slowly and reflect on each word you're saying. Mean what you say and say only what you mean.
  • DO NOT lose sight of the Lord, because without Him we cannot do anything.
  • Give thanks and praise to the Lord for EVERYTHING we have received.
  • Be humble, as our Servant King is humble.
Or, here is a website that's all about Holiness.

Let us together follow the example of the Saints and live our lives for the glory of God alone!

God bless.

5 comments:

ukok said...

Audrey, this is very insightful of you and I really enjoyed reading it. I find that I have to work on doing small things with much love too!

God Bless you!

Audrey Yu said...

Thank you ukok! :) God bless you too!

Matthew said...

I completely agree with Pope Benedict XVI. In the Benedictine Tradition, they say life should be two things ora et labora (work and prayer). I try to live by that too.

We can get so distracted in life. But, we just need to refocus each night in night prayer. We need to review our consciences each day and see how to change our lives for the better. The key to holiness is following Jesus.

"If you love Me, keep My Commandments" - Jesus Christ.

Anonymous said...

You make me chuckle--you are so sincere and genuine dear friend. God blesses you with wisdom and gave you a holy conscience. If more people in this world had your direction in life and always wanting to do better, wow! what peace this world would exhibit. Good for you Audrey. Blessings, and may you find your peace today. cs

Audrey Yu said...

Moneybags,
Yes, prayers! Only through prayers that we can always keep our hearts and souls connected to God!

Ely,
Hi there! So glad to hear from you again! :) Thanks for still dropping by. God bless!