Pages

Nov 23, 2006

My Vocation Story - The First Obstacle


My mother made the very first protest against my interest in joining the Carmelite cloister. A very big one indeed.

I went to the Carmelite Monastery two Saturdays ago together with my parents. I’ve promised one of the sisters to help them with photocopying of some books. We have the usual and casual talk; I told her of some happenings in my life, asked them to pray for my cousin for her forth-coming public exam etc. Suddenly, they requested to speak to my parents.

I was happy, of course, that they were willing to 'meet my parents. So after I got my parents to talk to one of them, I went off to the Chapel to say hello to the Lord. But I went back after 5 minutes to see how my parents were doing. I was eager to find out what they were talking about, because I knew that just before I walked off 5 minutes ago, the sister was talking about me. The sister was talking to my Mom. Dad whispered to me when he saw me reappeared, "Your mom is feeling very uncomfortable."

My parents then made an excuse to leave while I continued talking to her. She invited my parents to meet the whole community. As I am an aspirant, according to her, my family is given the privilege to meet the whole community of Carmelite nuns. I was excited, of course! I’m an aspirant!!! Wow!! However, my Mom refused their invitation. It shocked me, because all the while I thought that she’s dying to meet the Carmelite sisters.

"It’s ok, dear." said Mother Conceptual. "She’s just not ready. We don’t want to scare them." After thanking her for everything, my parents and I left for home.

After two days, my mom suddenly raised this topic. She blamed the Carmelite sisters for 'brain-washing' me and putting in me the desire of joining them. She even warned me that I should never visit them anymore. I got a shock of a lifetime. Is there something wrong with my mom? Why is she putting all the blame on the nuns because of me thinking about my vocation seriously?

"The nuns' fault? Mom, this is ridiculous!" I lost my patience, which I was not supposed to. She continued with her own theory. I started with my own reasoning.

"Sorry Mom. I can’t listen to whatever you’ve said. You don’t make any sense!" I ended our argument. That very instance, Mom started a cold war with me.

We did not talk to each other for 4 days. I tried to break the ice, but mom ignored me. These 4 days were really a torture. I lost my concentration during work; I lost my appetite, and even my will to go on. When I was on my way to the office one morning, I ran the red light and almost collided head-on with an on coming car. Normally, situation like this would freak me out. But that morning, I was just so calm, as if I I’ve lost all my senses. Fortunately, the both of us stopped our cars just in time. I simply raised my hand as a sign of apology without even looking at the driver, and quickly drove away. When I replayed the scene that night, my whole being was immersed in fear. Gosh, I could have killed the both of us! How very dangerous I have been!

Obviously, my mother's objection to my vocation has impacted me a lot. Far worse than I’ve ever imagined and expected. For those 4 days, it felt as if I was completely separated from the One I truly love, as if my soul had withered. It felt as though I was given 2 choices – 1. Give up my vocation to please my mother, or 2. Give up my mother (and family) to live a life I am called to live. A very tough decision but I’m certain, that if I was to be given these 2 choices, I wouldn’t hesitate to leave everything for His Kingdom. I could have just left home and went straight to the cloister the very moment my mother voiced her objection. However, when I look at my small family – my parents are retired, my brother is still in college and I’m the only source of income, I believe that this is not the time for me to give up everything behind yet. My heart told me that God is still preparing me for the future; only He knows what the future is like.

Finally, I took the initiative and with the help of my father, my mom and I started to communicate once again. Gosh, it was a great relieve for me! Everything went back to normal. My love for Christ has gone another level higher, realizing how much I needed Him right by my side. I’m trying my best not to mention Carmelite as not to trigger my mom’s anger. I was upset with her for her objection, but at the same time I thanked the Lord that, if it was not because of this test I would not have known how much I really love Him.

I believe that this is not the end. There would be more to come along the way. I need to stay closely connected to the Lord through prayers so that I can stand firm no matter what. Regarding my parents, I pray that I can understand how they really feel and I offer them up to the Lord. Somehow, I came to understand how Mother Catherine Thomas (the author of My Beloved: the Story of a Carmelite Nun) has felt when her mother did not approve of her joining the Carmelite cloister.

For those who are discerning, be assured of my prayers. Also, I sincerely request for your prayers for my family and I, and all who are discerning a religious life.

11 comments:

ukok said...

Oh Wow, Audrey. Do your parents not have any other means of income without you there? That's an enormous pressure for you to stay.

I can understand where your Mum is coming from, I was 'brainwashed' by a cult that presented themselves as a Christian denomination and once in I was encouraged to sever all ties with family.

I know however, that you feel that the Lord is asking you to discern this way for your life. The thing is to do it when it's the right time for you and for your family. Even if it happens to be later on in your life, you are still doing God's will even before you enter convent life.

Bide your time and be the great daughter that you are, of God and of your parents :-)

Audrey Yu said...

Thank you, ukok! :)

Anonymous said...

Audrey,

I totally understand what you are going through, as I have been through something similar. Talk to the sisters about what you are going through and ask them for their guidance. Likely, one of them went through this also. I actually joined a convent two days after my parents threatened to disown me for doing so, but I ended up leaving--continuing my discernment while my heart was not at peace with them was too much for my weak faith. I urge you to pray for your mother, ask the sisters to pray, and ask God to allow you the freedom to make the right choice, to choose the path He wants you to take--and then the strength to take it! I am happy to say that I am once again discerning, having now dealt with my feelings and overcome that state you described--one the shrinks would probably say was post-traumatic stress disorder or depression.

God bless you!

owenswain said...

A vocational calling that was not tested would be no calling at all. A vocation not tested especially through those we love the most and who love us the most seems to me to be one of the most common experience in our household of faith. Not a few are the saints resisted and not believed in by our own dear Mother Church. In this way Church is the tool of Christ to prove us and the Lord's call.

Easy for me to say, it may seem, but I just lived 13 months of unemployment following my resignation as a Protestant minister to convert, along with my whole family, to the one, holy, catholic and apostolic church.

Peace to you.

Audrey Yu said...

I thank you all, from the bottom of my heart, for dropping me a line or two. Onionboy and Annon, you'll be in my prayers.

God bless!

Anonymous said...

Audrey,

I found your site via the Holy Vocations blog, and I just want to tell you that my prayers are with you. I am also discerning (and possibly discerning the cloister!), and my family has been struggling to hold together through this journey.

The Lord will be your strength and your shield, just as surely as He is your Savior and Beloved. He will be at your side through all of this, though you may feel desolate and alone. Trust in His will! It is the best not only for you, but for all the world, including your mom.

Prince of Darkness said...

Yo...dun drive so recklessly la... even there is a cold war, U should still drive carefully. Dun worry, ur mom will end e war soon enough, coz usually I dun end the war, but my mom did :P Or maybe we're a bit different in the sense u stay at home where as I am not :) Dun worry, I am sure things will get better.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Was surfing and stumbled across your blog. In a way, I felt identified with you.
Yes, I am discerning too. I am now at home on holiday, and I planned to inform my parents of my vocation. I dreaded the moment, and was desparately praying for the Lord to guide me.
But like I used to say, when Love calls, how can I say 'no'? So, it shall have to be the next few days.
So yes, we shall pray for each other.

Trust in him.

Audrey Yu said...

Hello Anonymous,

I'm glad to meet another person who's also discerning. Be assured of my prayers... may the Lord give you the strength and courage you needed to break the news to your parents.

God bless!

Anonymous said...

Get to know Jesus, read your Bible and ask him to show you the way you are to live your life. God sees your heart and desire to live for Him, consult with Jesus Christ first and foremost...before all others.

http://www.biblebelievers.org.au/nun.htm

The above link is a story of a young girl who joined the carmelite order. Please read it in it's entirity.

God Bless You
and may He guide your footsteps.

Audrey Yu said...

Dear Franki,

Thank you for your advice. I see that you must be a non-Catholic so thank you for dropping by and spending your time reading my story.

If I haven't known Jesus, or I haven't read my Bible and learn about the truth behind it, or I didn't have a personal encounter with God, I wouldn't have made this decision. He's been the Lord of my life ever since my "yes" to Him.

I've read the story, but I can't take that girl's word for it. I've seen Carmelite Nuns with my own eyes and I've even spent time with them. And I know exactly what my heart desires.

The Catholic Church and her teachings are so beautiful that the more I learn about it, the more I fall in love with it. Only those who do not bother to find out and learn about the true Faith that fall away from the Catholic Church. And it is really such a pity.

Again, I really thank you for your time and concern. God bless.