Pages

Sep 23, 2005

Bravo, Koreans!


Seriously and honestly, I have no idea whatsoever about Koreans - their culture, their beliefs, their lifestyle, their history etc. until I was stuck with the Korean drama 'The Legendary Doctor Hur Jun' and 'Jewel in the Palace'. At first, my impression of Koreans was that they have no difference with the Japanese. I know some of the history and language of the Japanese, so I couldn't bother doing some readings on the Koreans since they are the same (Koreans = Japanese). When I was first watching the Korean drama, I found their traditional costumes to be very weird and funny [my sincere appology to the Koreans!]. Gradually but surely, my perception about Koreans changed as I got addicted with 'The Legendary Doctor Hur Jun'.

Out of intense curiosity, I searched the internet for Korean Catholics. I only knew that Naju is the area with Catholics in Korea. Thanks God, I found one great website about the history of the Catholic in Korea. I am more than happy to read about it! I also read of how they (the martyrs) were persecuted because they refused to deny Christ. Today, the Catholics in Korea are actually growing despite the conflict between Church and the local culture.

It is just amazing to know that Koreans are among the martyrs of the Church. What amazed me the most is that Korea is one of the country in the Asia region with christian martyrs canonized (in 1984 by Pope JP II).

My next mission: To get to know more about Korea and visit the churches in Korea one day. ;)

God bless everyone.
p/s: For more information on Korean martyrs, click the link above.

6 comments:

Matthew said...

Someone I know actually went back to Korea a few years ago because they were in the war, and the pictures were amazing. He even brought me a set of Korea coins and stamps because I collect coins, so it was a great gift.

Audrey Yu said...

moneybags,

What is the situation in Korea now? No more war, I hope? I am a stamp and coins/currency notes collector too. Wow... you are really priviledged to have Korean friends. Looks like I am a little slow at realising this truth: Catholics can be found EVERYWHERE all over the world!

God bless! ;)

Matthew said...

No, the war in Korea ended years ago. And, you're right: Catholics are everywhere. Even the word "catholic" means "universal" and it's so true :)

Audrey Yu said...

Here's another fact I found when reading about Korea - Korea has the fourth largest number of Catholic saints in the world [Sogang University, 1997]. AMAZING!!! =)

Anonymous said...

Just thought I'd drop by:

Catholics in Korea make up about 9% of the overall population: a good 4.5 million.

Catholicism in Korea has grown tremendously within the past 40 years. For example, during Vatican II (around 1968), the numbers were ten times less: 400,000.

The problem, I see, though is that Catholicism in Korean seems to be conservative yet liberal in many ways: Most Korean women still veil, yet there are times when a laywoman might give a homily.

There are tons of ugly looking parishes, yet the Masses are generally very solemn. But I personally don't like the way Koreans generally do mass. Nearly every response is done in complete monotone.

-Jason

Audrey Yu said...

Jason, thank you so much for dropping by and sharing that piece of information with us. I've read a lot regarding Catholics in Korea, thanks to your postings.

God bless!