Pages

Sep 11, 2005

Why we should forgive

I have misunderstood today's Gospel all these years. I thought that in order to receive God's forgiveness, we have to forgive others first. But today, the priest reminded us that this is not true. The truth is that because we have first been forgiven by God, so we should forgive others too.

I found William Blake's words to be very true too, "It's easier to forgive an enemy than a friend." I have that experience before. A friend whom I have trusted for 5 long years stabbed my back and it took me 5 years to totally forgive him. I loved and trusted him so much so that I couldn't accept the fact that he betrayed me. I knew I have forgiven him when I did not feel the hurt in my heart anymore. The Lord healed my wounds and helped me to forgive during a youth healing session.

I still find it difficult to forgive. I am still learning how to let go of the hurt and resentment caused by both friends and people I dislike. Worse still, these are the people I meet in church every Sunday. But I continue to pray for them, hoping that they would realise the wrong they have done.

I want to forgive like Marie and Tara's parents. Father, teach me to forgive.

2 comments:

Snowflake said...

forgiving is good for the soul. Many a times we choose to forgive even the most difficult to forgive ones. But in the end we are the ones who are still hurt. Sometimes i wonder why it is this way. Have to really try hard to let go...

Audrey Yu said...

To forgive is divine. Because we are not divine being, so we need God's grace to help us forgive. We always tend to forgive others through our own strength, and then found out that that hurt still remain. Let go, let God! I know it's easier said then done, but I believe that if we really meant to forgive, God will surely send us His grace and blessings.