Pages

Aug 13, 2005

A Life Without Sex - Are you willing?

I've told my friends for umpteenth times that I don't want to get married. Many asked me why, while others laughed at me and said that I would change my mind once I get older. But then, the more people made fun of me about not getting married, the more firm I become in my decision of a single life.

I gave 1001 excuses to questions about being single, including the importance of friends to me, my unwillingness to commit and the burden of having a family. I didn't tell them that the major reason I want to stay single is my tremendous love for God and my every desire to meet Him, AND me renouncing the flesh. I always tell my friends that single life is much more difficult than married life, especially when it comes to the desire of the flesh - sex. Too bad, not many of them who agree with me. But thanks God, He showed me an article, which ensures me that I'm in the right path.

Here's a short explanation of staying single. No matter if you're a Catholic, a Protestant, or a non-Christian, you're welcome to read this and try to understand why there are nuns, priests and those who accept God's call to be celibate.

Some men are incapable of sexual activity from birth; some have been deliberately made so; and some there are who have freely renounced sex for the sake of God's reign. "Let him accept this teaching who can." Matthew 19:12

In a world which worships sex as a false god, it is almost impossible for some to comprehend that there are people called to renounce sex for the sake of God's kingdom. Because it is so difficult for our world to understand, the witness of the single life for the Lord is powerful indeed. The single life does not deny the value of marriage, but challenges us to set our hearts on what pertains to higher realms where Christ is seated at Gods right hand (Col 3:1).

The single life for the Lord calls us to fix our eyes on heaven where there is no marriage (Lk 20:34-35). We see our earthly existence as a stepping stone into eternity. "I am going into this with you for your owngood. I have no desire to place restrictions on you, but I do want to promote what is good, what will help you to devote yourselves entirely to the Lord" (1 Cor 7:35).


The single life is a promise of glory that "eye has not seen, ear has not heard, nor has it so much as dawned on man what God has prepared for those who love Him" (1 Cor 2:9). The single life is among the most powerful prophecies proclaimed on the earth. It comforts the afflicted and afflicts the comfortable.

Some of you reading this are called to be single for the Lord. Accept this call.

(Modified from Presentation Ministries, Daily Reflection for Thursday 11/08/2005)

Before I got this article, I've read the bible verses (1 Cor 7:25-40) for a lot of times, but I was still unsure of what my vocation is. But right now... *smiling* should I still doubt after this affirmation? My prayers have been answered! (Hip hip hooraaay!!)

2 comments:

Prince of Darkness said...

Hey Audrey, I do agree wit your friends as well. I know you had been stickin to tat state of mind for the past 10 years and I was once in tat state of mind. What happened now? I'm no longer single. You will change your state of mind when you meet someone you can rely on for the rest of your life. There's a class now. Gtg.

Audrey Yu said...

For 10 over years I've never changed my mind... why would I in years to come?